History

The Church’s History

The Church’s History

The story of Saffron Walden Community Church is very short! The congregation of Gold Street Chapel had been looking for larger and more appropriate premises for quite a few years when the Methodist chapel in Castle Street became available. As a result of dwindling numbers, the Methodist congregation had decided to merge with the United Reformed Church in Abbey Lane, selling their own building which had been the home of the Methodist church in Saffron Walden since the 19th century. This was a God-send for us, as it offered more room for a range of activities which was beginning to stretch what we could accommodate at Gold Street.

As we move to new premises, we are also seeking new direction from God as to how he would have us work out his kingdom in Saffron Walden. To learn about our move and our new story so far, follow this link (PDF).

The Chapel’s History

Gold Street Chapel Saffron Walden
Gold Street Chapel Saffron Walden

The story of Gold Street Chapel, however, extends over more than 140 years! In its centenary year of 1970, one of our outstanding members, Ray Mitson, compiled a history of the chapel from its beginnings in 1870.

Below is an excerpt from this history. It uses many quaint and antiquated terms, but is an interesting dip into Gold Street Chapel’s history.

Chapter Two

1888 to 1900

In 1888 a move was made to Gold Street where the assembly has met ever since. The site taken over was formerly Freestones’ Engineering Shop. Part of the old building was retained in the new structure but it was extensively enlarged to make it suitable as a place of worship. The new building included a baptistry, which has occasionally been used by neighbouring assemblies. The Hall was built by Messrs. William Bell & Sons, for whom Mr. George Newton worked. To view a pdf of the full document See Here.